Baptisms

Baptisms

Friday, September 19, 2014

First week at the MTC

The Philippines the final frontier, these are the voyages of Elder Campbell, his two year mission to serve the people in the philipines.
 
Captains log stargate 19/09/14
 
Things have definatley been getting better here in the philippines.  The first 3-4 days were pretty stressfull and I struggled a bit trying to adjust, but just as you said doing anything for the first time and stepping out of your comfort zone takes some time.  I believe I'm finally starting to get the swing of things here.  In fact last night was the first time I actually slept all the way through the night, because all this week my body has wanted to wake up about every two hours because it should be the middle of the afternoon and so I think my body was thinking I just wanted to take an afternoon nap.  Also the food here at the MTC is usually pretty good, although they pretty much only have 4 main food groups here. Rice, Rice, More Rice, and Fried Rice, for breakfast lunch and dinner.  Joke-lang (joking), they do serve  chicken, beef, or pork with our meals, 75% of our plate is still rice.  The cafeteria was really nice to us yesterday and gave us a taste of home by having a hamburger and fries with soft serve ice cream and that was definatley a tender mercy of the Lord.  I am currently in a threesome companion ship with a Elder Wood who is a shorter guy from Bountiful Utah, and Elder Tharp who is closer to my height from Tennesee. They are pretty great companions and I am definatley lucky to have them.  Along with that the MTC president asigned me to be a district leader within the MTC for the Helaman District, which consists of us three, plus Elder Saldana from Texas, Elder Uele from New Zealand, Sister Huni from Tongan islands, and Sister Matthes from Somoan islands. Together we make a pretty great group and are some of the funnest people I have ever met.  Throughout this week we have also been teaching our first investigator, which was extrememly difficult due to the language barrier.  The first meeting with him was a disaster and we could hardly communicate, but I was really suprised at how much we improved throughout the week with both the language and the blessing of the spirit to help guide us and to testify to him.  Although our first investigator was just a teacher here at the MTC who was acting as one of his investigators that he had on his mission, it was definatley a great learning experience and very eye opening on the importance of studying the language and materials and preparing them in a manner to allow the spirit to be there.  In one of our meetings the spirit allowed one of my companions to say an awesome prayer in taglog with our limited knowledge, and I was able to bear my testimony  in tagalog and the feeling in the room was amazing that even the teacher as well as myself began to tear up a bit.  Although my knowledge of tagalog is still very limited, it has really surprised me how much the spirit has allowed me to learn in just one week.
 
Alam ko po na Diyos mapagmahal po ang Ating Ama sa Langit at sa pamamagitan ng Espiritu Santo magagabayan tayo.
I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father and that through the Holy Ghost we can be guided, (and I have definatly felt that throughout this week.)
 
I am glad things are going well back home besides the dead garden :(, although I'm wishing those temperatures and weather would come this way.  It's the middle of rainy season here and I have only seen the sun once since we have been here, which has helped with the heat a bit, but the humidity is insane, after only one hour of gym time per day I feel like I'm bathing in sweat by the end. We were also supposed to go to the immigration office today, but they closed due to a tropical storm coming through and there has been a lot of rain.  But I can assure you we are all safe and sound here in the MTC, so don't worry about me.  Be sure to let Nicole, Brayden and Holly that I miss them, and that everything going great for me, and I wish them the best of luck with school.
 
I love you all, and I'll write again next Friday.
Elder Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.