Baptisms

Baptisms

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Kumusta po Kayo!

Kumusta po Kayo! (That's the general greeting here in the Philippines which is to say How are you? (and the po is for respect))
 
Well I have had another awesome week here in the Philippines, although we went through another pretty gnarly storm the other day and it was actually kind of cool to watch from our residence while we were listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing Battle Hymn of the Republic, the lighting flashes nearly synchronized with the crash of the symbols, so it was a pretty neat experience.
 
To answer Brayden's question it is all plain white rice, no flavoring what so ever, so we try to stir it in with the soup or try and mix in the juices from the vegetables or meats to get a little more zing to it, or sometimes if I imagine I'm eating egg whites it goes down tasting somewhat like that.  Although on special occasions we get fried rice which tastes amazing compared to the regular stuff, and once every week and a half or so we get a hamburger.  So things aren't to bad.
 
Wednesday we went to the immigration office to get our 2 year visas worked out.  On the way there we drove through Manila and got to see some of the city.  The driving style remind me of Egypt, there seem to be no road rules, no speed limits, and its all one giant game of chicken.  So each time we ride in a van or a Jeepney I tend to tense up a bit.  The way things are set up here is rather strange as well. There will be nice new apartments and condos where some of the higher up people would live, and yet just a few hundred yards away are concrete and tin shacks and slums.  At the immigration office I noticed there was a tall black guy walking around and it kind of looked like he worked there, and since everyone here is around 5 foot, it was nice to see someone my height, so I figured what the heck I'll go talk to him.  It turns out he was from Texas, had served in the Iraqi Freedom War, did Jujitsu, MMA, and a few other styles of martial arts that I can't remember, and was kind of fun to talk to.  He commented on how dedicated we must be to be all the way out here just after high school, and my companions and I were all hoping we could give him a referral, but whenever we tried to say anything he would just keep talking about some of his experiences.  So in the end it was just fun to hear about his life, and I felt afterwards that maybe that was all we were supposed to do was just listen, because he was out here by himself and couldn't even speak Tagalog, so he probably just enjoyed speaking to someone in English for a while.
 
After the immigration office we went to the Manila American Memorial Cemetery.  This was where President Hinckley first opened the Philippines/Manila Mission.  The feeling there was indescribable, and I'll try and include some pictures, but I know they won't do it justice.
 
We have also had another great week with our investigators, and I continue to be amazed at how the Spirit guides us to say the things we need to, and the amazing feeling and power that is felt when we follow it's promptings.
 
I'm getting ready to move up in to the Senior batch this week, as the batch before us leaves this coming Wednesday, and our batch goes proselyting that day, so I'm pretty excited and nervous for that.  It's hard to believe that my MTC stay is already coming to a close and I'll be headed to the field in a little over 2 weeks, but I know that I need to press forward with faith, and things will work out.
 
Glad to hear every one is having a great time at Park City, and I'm pretty jealous of the temperatures you guys are having over there.  I love you all and hope every thing is going great.
 
Love
Elder Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.