Baptisms

Baptisms

Monday, May 23, 2016

Exercising faith

Hello Family,
    Well glad to hear everyone is excited for the last stretch of school and for the trip to Bali.  I guess just a heads up, and you may already have researched or known this, but I mentioned that you all were going to Indonesia here soon and he said to watch out for the police as he said there have been occasions were they plant drugs on people.  Granted I know that exists in many other countries as well, and he did mention that it mostly happens with those that go drinking at clubs and different things.  Other than that he did say it was very nice. 
    This week has been pretty busy and full of a few extra surprises.  Elder Saludar and I went on exchanges again with the Assistants to the President, Elder Goodwin (From Blackfoot Idaho) and Elder Perkins (son of Anthony D. Perkins of the 70).  It was a bit weird as this is the first time that I have gone on exchanges with the Assistants where I've been older than both of them in the mission.  It was still a fun experience though as always and I got to go with Elder Goodwin (Go Idaho!) and I was able to visit quite a few people that I taught last time with Elder Heaton on of the previous assistants.  It was fun to see their growth and progression that had occurred over the past month.  We even got rained on pretty good at the very end, a nice cool off for the day.
    Elder Saludar and I also had some fun this week when we went on splits with some of the youth and single adults.  The youth had a For the Strength of Youth conference for 5 days in Tagaytay (somewhat like EFY) and I guess one of the main themes was preparing for missions.  They did a pretty good job at it, because as soon as they came back even some of the youth that weren't super active were coming up and asking us when they could work with us.  So on Thursday we were able to have splits and I had a group of 3 with me and another group of 3 with Elder Saludar.  We gave them some pamphlets and 1 Book of Mormon and went out and gave them a test run of some of the things they had learned from FSY and our Mini MTC that we held at the church a few weeks ago.  It was fun to watch as they were talking to people and trying to teach as I remembered some of the similar things that I did when I was new in the mission.  When I would open my mouth and try to act confident, but as soon as I was asked a question my mind sometimes ran blank.  Or sometimes when I approached a person it was just straight up awkward.  Although I'm very grateful that I did make those mistakes as that is what pushed me to learn and helped me to be humble an rely on the Lord.  As I have been reflecting on some of those things this past week I kept coming the the same conclusion that I realized a couple of months ago.  The reason why the MTC seems so hard and you get jam packed with so much information with trying to learn how to teach, how to learn the language and so on, and then the reason why working in field can be stressful as well and can sometimes bring even the strongest missionaries to their knees, is that it teaches us to rely on the Lord.  There is no way we can do the things we do, learn a new language in a matter of months, learn how to teach the gospel effectively, and be able to touch the heart and change the lives of those we teach on our own.  That has been one of the coolest things to see as a missionary is all the miracles that happen when we exercise our faith and learn to rely on the Lord.  That is what we do everyday as missionaries, we exercise our faith, and invite people to exercise their faith.  That's when the miracles happen as it takes a bit of faith.  When we have acted on our part and done what we can, and then we trust that He will take care of the rest.  Like those of old "Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight..." (Heb 11:33-34).  It's awesome being a missionary.
   Well that is about all I've got time for for this week.  I hope everyone enjoys the last little bit of school and I'll look forward to hearing from you in Bali.  I hope everyone stays happy, healthy, and safe.
Love you lots,
Elder Chayce Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.